Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Walking with my child even during the tough times

I am not the best blogger these days but I wanted to make sure I included this lesson Lauren learned a while back. Before Christmas Lauren really wanted a iPad after the boys each got one for their birthdays. Drew gave his old tablet to Lauren which was really nice of him but apparently the Green Eyed Monster came out and that wasn't good enough for her. I found in a notebook by her bed a drawing of a iPad and $249 written next to it.  I also noticed her counting her money one night several times. The next day I noticed Drew's wallet was in her room but I didn't think much of it. Later that night she happily proclaimed that she had enough money to buy herself a iPad. Of course Drew ran up to see where she got all the money from and he started yelling that she stole his wallet. Oh Gosh!! I knew what happened when I saw all the money sitting next to her stuff. I asked her where she got the $100 bill from and she said she found it. Okay at this point I am raging inside because I hate a thief and a liar and I wanted to explode. After hearing her made up story about the wallet magically appearing in her room with money flying out I probably looked like a monster with glowing evil eyes but somehow I remained calm. I went on to explain that I knew she was lying and the truth did eventually come out. I wanted her to know how serious this was to us in this house. Of course my mind immediately starts going down the bunny trail... if she steals now she will steal later, if she steals from her brother she will steal from her employer and if she does that she will go to jail. Okay back to the moment... I was not happy but I explained to her how serious this was. She has lied to me in the past normally about playing video games or sneaking something she shouldn't have and we have explained over and over how upset this makes our hearts. This was different this was calculated stealing all because she had that temptation and greed come over her for that major want.  After a very long talk and a big punishment I found this note in her room
After reading this I knew that she was sorry and asking God to help her and forgive her brought me to tears thinking how many times I have messed up and God forgives me. I am so happy she can talk to God and has a repenting heart. I decided to write her back to show God does care and because I truly   believe God would say this...
So through these not so fun parenting moments as a mom I was able to show her grace and unconditional love. We still have to work through temptations.. this girl loves her some Mine Craft and her You Tubers (you know the one that goes on and on in a English accent) but we are getting there.
She is my joy not matter what. Was this message more for her or for me, I am not sure. God showed me a way to show grace through Him. It didn't make it go away but it showed that I can still love her in one of the biggest moments of disappointment just like He loves me when I fail Him. Seeing my child go to God showed her child like faith when as a adult we think we can do it all on our own. She went right to the Lord for help. We can all learn a lesson from a child no matter how much we think we know about life. Kids actually are full of wisdom and we have to stop and pay attention.
The incident above was several months ago and she has made lots of improvements. She is also thankful for the tablet she has after we talked about gratitude. She hasn't asked for a iPad again so I consider this a lesson learned. I did catch her playing her tablet at 3:00am last week so that was another punishment but she didn't lie to me this time. Hey, baby steps I never said I was the Super Nanny!! Being a parent is just so hard at times but I am so thankful for my children. They have taught me so much about life. I often wonder what I would have been like if I never would have been a mother. You often hear woman who say they lost themselves when they became a stay at home mom or had babies but I truly feel I found myself through this journey. Not at all easy and I have had many hard days but I would never say I lost who I was. Maybe for a moment or for a time but I always came back to this was my calling and what I was supposed to do with my life.

I love you three with all my heart even when you mess up!!
 photo signature_zps66885a6e.png

1 comment:

  1. OMIGOSH! We *JUST* had Annelise lie to us about taking money last week, too!!!!! It KILLS me, b/c just like Lauren, she initially lied & said she didn't. She is the one we occasionally catch in lies, and it absolutely terrifies me. She truly confessed to God and prays every night to be better and not give in to temptation, but I am sooo there with you! Talk about getting major lessons in grace!

    "You often hear women who say they lost themselves when they became a stay at home mom or had babies but I truly feel I found myself through this journey." = AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...