Friday, February 26, 2016

Backyard Overhaul And Pergola

When we moved in our house the previous owners had a big playground that we thought came with the house. As you can tell it pretty much looks like the the Beverly Hillbillies lived here. When we rolled up (I have to add my teenage lingo) the playground was gone on the day we signed the papers. Granted it probably would have not stayed long term but we were left with a horrible BIG empty sand pit with old tires. I am being as serious as a heart attack, old tires!! Mind you these people paid cash for this house and they left tires in the yard, and holes in the walls. Not sure how this makes any logical sense. Last summer I put the trampoline there and it looked horrible, I would even go out and spray the weeds that came up (: We didn't have a plan yet since we were doing other things inside the house. We thought about putting a volleyball net up, maybe a basketball court (Don't tell the kids) that would have been amazing...To much money and not really pretty. I really wanted a flower garden, and Rob suggested a Pergola that he would build. He was very big on buying contractor quality everything and had a plan. We drew up plans and started this was back in November I think.  First we rented a auger, oh my!! Okay it's going down for real!! That thing was a beast and no joke work. They of course only had one left the Big Papas of Auger's. We put it together started it up and  dug the hole through the sand which was basically like drilling through concrete.
Rob made about thirty trips to Home Depot bringing in the lumbar.  He also ordered from a building supply store the big cedar poles. We are Texans now so go big or go home. Once the holes were dug we poured cement to hold them in. Rob build the Pergola from his own plans and ideas. He even ordered special bolts and nuts in black from some special store. Okay sound to good to be true??? All was well until I come home and he comes walking out to me saying he's hurt and he feel off the ladder.
Yeah that happened.... about six stitches later we have a Pergola that he insisted on finishing that day!
After this we stained it and then the real fun began!! We ordered soil/mulch mix and crushed granite. Rob is great at math but for some reason we had way to much mulch mix at the end. This was all for my garden but we had enough to fill in all my flower beds around the whole house. It was a long few days. Rob and I worked non stop moving soil with the wheel barrels from sun up to sun down. It was torturous, pretty much. I believe there is race horse poop mixed in too so you can imagine. The other beds needed the dirt mix so it worked out but my goodness!!
This was just one deliver, once I saw the next load I could not believe it. It was the never ending mound of horse poop dirt. Drew looks thrilled, kids were not much help.
There are just to many steps to post. We filled the dirt on top of all the sandy mess, because there was no way the sand would leave. We used the crushed granite as the path and we made a walk way. Our plan is to get two garden trellis and a bird bath or something in the middle. We made a few trips to the nursery. I really have no clue what I am doing but I followed the tags and hopefully in the next few years everything will grow. I figured that just digging in and trying was my best bet and if I don't like it I can always move stuff. I like the English Garden look so that is what I am hoping for but it will take many years to get there.


 I love my bunnies, no garden is complete without them.
Rob changed all the sprinkler heads so they would reach the new flower garden and we put up my lanterns. These solar lanterns are so cool, I bought them at Target. A lot of work but we are almost done. We have to add another pathway from the main fence to the garden and we are going to replace the old fence from the front of the house with wrought iron but not sure when. So many more projects but little by little.

 photo signature_zps66885a6e.png

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I know how much work you put in hauling dirt and mulch. The last time I did it my arms broke out in a rash. I was allergic to something in the mulch. The hard part is over now...you get to sit back and enjoy. I love the pergola. I'm toying with the idea of putting one over the firepit behind the pool. I, too, love bunnies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA!!! That is a TON of work!!!!! Well done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...