Monday, February 2, 2015

The morphing life of a mom

I will miss this for sure one day. Before laundry I cleaned out Lauren's pockets of her jacket. It was like a treasure chest stored in there. As I looked at everything it just made me stop and take this picture. I look at my kids and they are getting taller and taller each month, they need to stop! I love their ages and personalities. They are my therapy and can cure any bad day with all their jokes and sweetness. I was telling Rob the other day I felt like I was the mom with the little kids for what seemed like forever. We always had the little kids at the Play land and get togethers with friends and never could socialize much because of our constant chasing of children. In the last couple years that all changed and now my kids are the big kids.
It wasn't so long ago that I was THAT mom. You know the one at Target that drives you crazy now. The one who has some sort of unknown substance on her clothes, looks frazzled, and has bags under her eyes. The one always yelling for someone to get out of the car, the one who is carrying every single item of clothing, toy, bags and a child in each hand hoping for a magical third hand.. I miss those days in many ways but in many ways glad that those days are behind me. I am enjoying this new freedom but my mind often wonders and reminisces when I see young mothers out and about. My days are not filled with finger paints, chicken nuggets, goldfish and Dora anymore. It's weird how you morph into another stage of motherhood as the kids grow. I now have different worries, concerns, problems. My schedule is filled with practices, meetings, school functions and homework. In many ways I am frazzled in the same way but in a more controlled chaos sort of way. I no longer have to chase toddlers and make sure they are not killing the cat but now it's making sure that huge science project are turned in. It's making sure I have gifts for each kid for birthday parties, being at two practices at once, and juggling a schedule around when school lets out. The positive is that I enjoy more freedom in the day but my day goes so fast!! I have no down time as far as just staying home like when the kids were little. When they were little it was preschool and home and nothing else. I sometimes miss those times, and wish I would have slowed down and enjoyed them more.  I still find it remarkable that God can continue to morph and change a mother to adapt to her children's growing needs.... amazing. 

I miss these little kids! The best part is that I have been able to see them grow as people each step of the way. I will never regret the time I spent with them even though I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown a few times. My children were of the spirited type, I am finding that spirited children are actually pretty amazing and its' been quite surprising to see the positives from their spunkiness.

I enjoy talking about bodily functions most hours of the day, having friends over, helping at the kids  school, going to the store 3-4X a week for food, watching funny movies, doing more grown up family activities, seeing my kids get awards, seeing good grades and more. The not so fun parts are the pre-teen moods, explaining the cruelty and fragile parts about life, and disciplining that won't go away for a while I am sure.
It's so great to sit around and talk with the kids. They bring me YouTube videos on drawing and all kinds of funny stuff. We laugh a lot,its the secret of happiness and family bonding in our house.
The school projects don't end but one day they will and I will..cry. My little birds will fly away.
 I wonder how the teenage years will be? I hope the Lord blesses me with lots of wisdom. We have had a few teenage moments with Jaden. I feel like I have not morphed in that area yet. I want to be the best mom I can be but also show grace and hopefully they will see my life as a example. 
Loving this stage so much!
 photo signature_zps66885a6e.png

2 comments:

  1. "I enjoy more freedom in the day but my day goes so fast!!" YEESSSS!!!!! THIS!!!!!! 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful family. And a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...