Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Roman shade from a shower curtain

 Are you ready to laugh at my crazy ideas.  I am very busy throughout the day with my kids and day to day work but I'm always thinking. This year I made a goal to get rid of things we were not using, and to re purpose all the stuff laying around my craft room. A few weeks ago I came across this cute shower curtain that I bought a year ago for super cheap at TJMaxx.  We were planning to replace all the ugly old dusty mini blinds on the back of our house.  As I was going though all my stuff I thought about making a faux roman shade from the shower curtain.  I saw a few things on Pinterest about something similar and I thought it might be worth a try.  I love Pinterest, and I wonder why I don't sleep at night.
This was so easy, seriously!!  You need a glue gun, scissors, and iron (take out wrinkles).  
1. I took the shower curtain and split it right down the middle.  Now this will vary depending on the size of your windows.  Mine were standard and not real big. 
2. The most time consuming part it removing the bottom of your mini blinds. At the bottom you can remove a knot and that will let out the slates. You will remove almost all the slates.  I only left a about 6? I just used scissors to cut some out too.  Make sure you do not cut the wire that pulls the shade up and down.
3. Next I just held the shower curtain up to the window and decided where it needed to be cut. I only cut a little around the sides then I glue gunned a seem. Make sure your curtain goes past your window sill a bit because once you raise them you will need a little play in the fabric at the bottom.
4. I glued the curtain around the top of the ugly valance and secured the sides with my bff the glue gun.  
 5. Glue gun the slat to the side of the curtain. You only need a dab of hot glue on both sides to make it stick to the fabric.  Once you are happy with it you can add a dab in the center as well.  You can see the pull cord through the curtain if you look close, you don't want to glue those.
 6.  I pulled it up after I did the first two to make sure it was going well.  You can have as many bends in the fabric as you want.  I only did 4, and throughout this whole project just eye balled it. Nothing technical real here. 
 I really like how it turned out because it is so bright but yet gives privacy. When you want the shade down you lower it just like you would blinds. Since it is a shower curtain it is so shear that it lets in all the light throughout the day. The fabric works really well and does not wrinkle. The pattern looks clean and stylish without being overdone or just plain. Here is the kids bathroom and I made one for ours as well.
 What do you think?  Next time you see a cute shower curtain maybe you can think about making some roman shades.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...