Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is one of my favorite soups ever, I actually made this up after Chili's discontinued my favorite soup Green Chicken Chili.  I just love that restaurant and was so disappointed when I went to order a year or so ago and they said it wasn't popular enough.  I have been to a few different Chili's and each time I ask, secretly hoping it was PA thing.  No such luck. I craved it so bad so around that time I made up this soup and it actually taste pretty close to theirs.  
Ingredients:
One huge can of Chicken broth
Can of Rotel
Pack of white tortillas
 cilantro ( cut up handful)
1-2 avocados
1 lime
1/2-1 pound of chicken
1 cup of minute rice
sour cream

First I cook the chicken.  I boil mine so it is soft I don't want it to taste grilled in the soup.  You can also use cooked chicken off the bone or from a rotisserie.  Once that is done, you place it in a big stock pot and put is on medium. Next I add the broth, Rotel, cilantro, and cup of dry rice.  Meanwhile I put a tablespoon of oil in my frying pan over med/high and place a broken up tortilla in the oil. You need to watch because they can burn but you want them crispy so flip often.  Once they are done( I cook about 6 of them) I put them in the soup. I let the soup continue to cook on med while I cut up a avocado.  I place a broken up avocado in the soup and squirt in juice from a lime.

 It should look like this!!  I love the vibrant color of this soup and it is healthy besides the cooking oil for the tortillas. 
 This is so easy and fun to make.  I like simple dishes with lots of taste.  If you do not like spicy foods you may not like this, it has a lot of kick to it.  I always add a glob of sour cream and it is perfect as far as spice. You can adjust this how you like, if you want more rice, meat, etc.. You can add more broth and make it less thick as well. Let me know what you think. 

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks so good! I cant wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...