Monday, November 12, 2012

Yes, you can paint those ugly countertops!



I have been up to some crazy experiments lately with painting but I am happy to say that I have had really great results.  I painted my stone fireplace, and I could not be happier and now I am going to show you how you can paint Formica. My house was build in 86 so I have some really ugly stuff, but the good news is there is nothing 80's left at this point. I will warn you that this is not a quick easy fix but if you can blend colors and have patience you can do it.  It is time consuming but it is so cheap.  I did not buy anything to complete this project.  I have an arsenal of products in my decorating station down in the basement. My counter top is a custom size, it would have been $2,000 for the granite. That would be wonderful but we have put a lot of money into the house so I don't want to overdo it. Here is what you need to get started.  You need primer that sticks to shiny surfaces. I used Bullseye 123.  You first need to sand your top and then clean it. Next you use the primer and let it dry for a few days. Next I used a creamy white base painted on with a foam brush. (make sure you tape off your sink).  Then I used a med tan, and used a darker tan for the contrast. You do this step by blending and dabbing with a paper towel.  I don't know how else to explain it but you just dab color all over and then make layers with all three colors until you get the look your going for.  I wanted a stone look, so I even used my fingers to swirl color. I added a little black to make a little splatter. You pull back bristles of a tooth brush with a very small amount of paint.
You will feel like Bob Ross, and as you can tell above you may need candy and Coke to keep up the momentum during this process.
UGLY!!  mauve, tan, peach!


 looking better, here is a close up of the blending.  It takes some time to get the look your going for but you can't mess it up so don't worry. 
After
 Once you get all your coats, then you use a polyurethane.  I used the water based stuff this time because I read that the other could yellow. I used a foam brush and put on 5 layers letting it drying in between. After this I used clear plumbers caulk around the sink once you peel off your tape. Don't use the blue tape,you think I would know this by now, use Frog Tape.  I accidentally pulled a little to much paint off.  I fixed it and then sealed around the sink with the sealer. This is not granite but it looks much better. I expect it to last for a while, It has been about 3 weeks now and nothing has chipped.
 Before Below- I also painted the room antique white by Sherwin Williams. I need to find a before before with the horrible floors and brown vanity that would make a good comparison.  I also removed the towel rack and hand towel rack.  I still need a bamboo shade but you get the idea. 
 After
It looks more spacious with the bar removed.  It is not a huge bathroom so I lightened everything and it looks so much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...