Friday, August 5, 2011

Lauren's hair

Lauren's hair, I have never done a post on the care of African hair. For those of you interested in adopting this might be informative. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure it out and I am still learning all the time. I have read a few good books and most techniques I have just learned by practicing and reading. Lauren has a lot of hair and it is curled tightly. It has soft texture though, so I can still work with it. Her hair has grown slowly it seems but really it is shoulder length if you straighted it all out, that is how curly it is. I want Lauren to have a positive self image about herself and her appearance. Hair is very important in African American culture. I agree that is should be neat, clean and taken care of, but I would say the about white children's hair as well. I don't ever want her to be told her hair is a bad texture, because I think it looks perfect for her and it is beautiful. Her hair can do things my hair can not and it looks good many ways. She is more then her hair, that seems like a weird statement but if you have ever seen the movie Good Hair you will understand this statement. I don't want to go into all the psychological things black kids face but it is quite sad some of the things they are told growing up by their own race and by others. I also have some good books on trans racial adoption that have helped me to understand this.
She calls this her "Big Hair" I love her hair like this in a natural Afro the problem is it gets tangled and after a day like this it starts to kink back up and get tighter on her head. It also can be hot because the hair is thick. We do this about once every two weeks though and I love it.



There are so many different ethnic products same with white people hair products all claiming to do some magical act. Everything is trial and error, some things work and some do not with her hair. If your reading this and have any good tips or great products I would love to hear about them. I have found Target to have a lot of products I like. I love products with more natural elements and less mineral oil. African hair needs moisture to keep it soft and healthy. So each day I add moisturizer that is creamy and not just full of oil but actual natural oils to keep her hair healthy.

I love Kinky-Curly products, found at Target.

Lots of hair twists and bows, I love hair accessories. I have trained her since she was a baby to wear hair pretties.

She does very well sitting still letting me do this. The hardest part is coming through the hair if it tangly because it does hurt some. I try to be gentle but she does get tangles. You have to section it off and comb through sections with a wide tooth comb. You can leave a style in for a couple days or refresh it, so it doesn't take this long most days.

The rest is up to me on how to style it. Her hair is not real long still but I hope by me taking care of it is will continue to grow. I try lots of different styles and hope to learn more. As she gets older I am sure she will have a lot more say in this.

All and in all the hair is not to difficult but does take a little more time. People ask me all the time how I do her hair or learned. I tell them they could do it just takes willingness to learn. I usually say my hair takes a lot of time to fix too, so really it is no different. It also shows Lauren that all hair takes work to look pretty so she doesn't feel negative about her hair texture. It is like anything else you learn as you go making mistakes and learning each year getting better. I have so much to learn but if you have any questions I would love to answer them or give you some tips if your looking into adoption or have just adopted an African American child. Don't let it scare you, it is time to bond with each other too and can be fun. I love Lauren's hair!!!

11 comments:

  1. I love her "big" hair :) So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize that boy AA hair is simpler than girls because you have the option to keep it short or even shave it off. But a lifesaver for us has been the "tangle teazer" hairbrush. I ordered mine online from Europe over a year ago, but just learned they sell them in beauty stores here now. So when my boys have a head full of hair, I wet it down, brush through it with the tangle teazer and there are NO tears. Then I add my moisturizer and pick through. It really has been a miracle brush and I would recommend it to anyone, no matter the hair type. Just wanted to share all of that.
    By the way, Lauren's hair is beautiful! And she is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize that boy AA hair is simpler than girls because you have the option to keep it short or even shave it off. But a lifesaver for us has been the "tangle teazer" hairbrush. I ordered mine online from Europe over a year ago, but just learned they sell them in beauty stores here now. So when my boys have a head full of hair, I wet it down, brush through it with the tangle teazer and there are NO tears. Then I add my moisturizer and pick through. It really has been a miracle brush and I would recommend it to anyone, no matter the hair type. Just wanted to share all of that.
    By the way, Lauren's hair is beautiful! And she is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post & reading about this stuff! Beauty for all! :-D
    (And I thought "Good Hair" was fascinating!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is just so cute! I love her 'big hair' and love all the hair pretties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how well you take into concern your children's every need Katie! Your such a great mom. Thanks for the tips! Who knows when we will one day need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this post! I recently got some good info from an african american cousin on my sons hair. Since we have purchased a wave cap...HE LOOKS SO CUTE WEARING IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! Your little girl is just gorgeous. I'm hoping to "have" to learn all this hair care stuff sometime soon if we are able to adopt again. (Lord willing!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, the simple fact is, black hair is harder to do than white hair. There really is no getting around it. : )

    You do a great job. We use Pink Luster's oil in Kaishon's hair.

    I am glad you have fun with it and are able to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should look into learning how to corn rows. You can learn to do different styles once you get the hang of it. It lasts a lot longer (up to 3 weeks) if you wrap her hair up at night in a scarf (which you should do anyway if you don't already because it keeps the pillow from drying it out). They don't have to be super tight to be neat, but not loose or they wont last long.

    I'm sure you can find plenty of tutorial on youtube but if not there is a book call "It's all good hair" that could be useful.

    http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Good-Hair-Childrens/dp/0060934875

    Don't get discouraged, it takes some practice to learn and she might feel some discomfort in the beginning if she is not used to having cornrows but her scalp will adjust its sensitivity. I really recommend learning; it's how half the black parents I know get through the week lol - a style a week (or 2 weeks).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that your original post was 6 months ago but I just read it and thought I'd pass on a blog I just discovered that I am LOVING! It's http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/ - written by an adoptive mom, like us. I've learned so much from it - from changing our hair routine, to the products we use. I've even started trying some styles on my 2 year old DD's hair - before this I'd only done natural/afro and puffs. I hope this helps you. Also on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ChocolateHairVanillaCare.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...