Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pillowcase dress easy and fun!

I thought I would make Lauren a few dresses since I bought material a couple years ago and never got to it. I don't know how much longer she is going to let me dress her. She already has a lot of favorite outfits that she wants to wear more then others and that includes those owl pajamas that she has on. She wants to wear those everywhere.
I like to sew but it can be a little frustrating at times when your machine acts up. When I made the first dress I kept getting those balls of thread like a nest and figured out after a hour of frustration that the tension was not right. I'm laughing now(: The next dress only took me about 15 min to make. Now don't look to close, I do love the saying it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. A lot of my stuff is not perfect. most of it is put together fast, glue gunned, spray painted. With having three children I threw perfection out the door a long time ago.
Here is how I make my dresses, and believe me this may not be right at all but it works and is easy.
1. Pick up a yard of fabric.
Depending on the size of your child you will cut the length and width to make a inside pillow case. Lauren is really tall and big for her age she wears about a 5 so I cut the width to about 32" wide and the length at 24" long. You can hold the fabric up to their body or look online for measurements.
2. You simply sew a straight line up the side that is open
3. Next I found a arm hole pattern off the Internet for free. I wish I had the link still. Or you may just have a good eye and be able to make one yourself. Lay that down about 2" from the top and cut the arms out.
4. I know you can use basting tape in the arms but it seemed like more work. So I just rolled my fabric over 1-2 times and sewed with the curve of the arm.
5. Then you place your ribbon at the top you will need about 22" for each side (also use Fray Check on the ends of the ribbon). Place the ribbon flat and make a little pocket for it at the top. (make sure you don't sew the ribbon down,you need it move so you can gather at the neck) Repeat on the other side.
below is a picture of how it will look.

6. Put it on a cute little girl. I added a ribbon at the bottom since I had leftover. I gave directions for the dress, this one in the picture I didn't have enough fabric so I made her a shirt.
I love these because you can dress them up or down, they are original looking, cheap to make, and you can wear them in the winter or summer.
Lauren really liked this one because it had cupcakes on it.
Dress with tights, cute!
You can also use a real pillowcase, I have seen online vintage dresses made this way that were beautiful white with antique lace at the bottom. Having a girl is fun!!

7 comments:

  1. Super cute Katie! Lauren's a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable. I will see if my Mom can make one for my nieces : ) I can't sew a lick.
    I love your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! And Lauren looks so, so sweet. Adorable material! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girlfriend who took the t-ball pics of my son JUST asked for a pillowcase dress tutorial today!!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY CUTE! My mom made one for Kylie when she was about Lauren's age....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So FUN and so cute! LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...