Friday, January 28, 2011

Lauren's Adoption Story

Kelly at Kelly's Corner
I thought I would add Lauren's story. I added some of it on this blog over 3 yrs ago so this is a good update.
I always though adoption was a neat thing. I never though it was going to be something that we would do though. I had my two boys and was pretty content with my family. As my relationship grew with Christ I was thinking I would like another child but not through birth but adoption. My husband was not on board at first and though we should just have another of our own. With adoption there are lots of unknowns and at that time he didn't think it was a good time but he didn't say no. I continued to research adoption...Every time I turned around it was in my face, on TV, articles, celebrity new, you name it...I could not escape the fact that this was something that I felt the Lord leading me to. I continued to pray for Rob too and within a couple months he completely changed his heart and wanted to adopt as much as I did. We did all the paperwork and applied through Bethany Christian Services out of Little Rock, AR. It all went to fast. The home study, the paperwork, everything. We made a profile book with pictures about our family for birth moms to look through. Within a couple months we had birth parents inquire about us. Our social worker though it was a iffy placement but they had picked us so we were getting ready for another baby boy!! Meanwhile, we were praying along with our church family for God's will. We did not want to take any ones baby and only wanted this family to pick us if this little guy needed a home. Our intent was never to be selfish about this. We prayed that Gods will would be done. We were waiting for the phone call that weekend and on a Tues I finally heard that the couple decided to parent the little guy but they had a little girl that had been born the week before that they could not tell us about until the first placement fell through. She went into Cradle Care ( a program for babies who will be placed but there is no placement yet) A wonderful Dr. and his wife did this as their ministry. After saying yes with a mix of emotions the social worker said, you need to come right now. We lived a couple hours from Little Rock so we had to leave so we could bring her home. I called Rob and cried that God had blessed us with a little girl that was all ours. So as you can see in the pics I was at home and it was a very hot hot day and I don't think I had any makeup on or anything (: There was so much joy when we met her! She was a perfect healthy chubby little girl. We named her Lauren Grace. She was thirteen days old when we brought her home to her forever family. Our placement from start to finish was only 9mo! With Lauren being a minority there was not a lot of takers for her. This is a tough very dear to my heart issue. At first we were scared to adopt a minority but God really worked on our hearts here too. We decided to be open to any race. God loves her and made her and why would we limit what child he would bring to us. We knew this was going to be unconventional and at first it was scary. We were the only family open to African Americans at the time so Lauren was just sitting there waiting. It breaks my heart that if she was white she would have been gone right away. A perfect healthy baby!! It is humbling and I wondered why would I ever limit this blessing. We have learned so much through having her! We really trusted that God would place us with the child he wanted for our family. He knows better then us what we needed. The people in our small town were wonderful to us and although we don't live there anymore I still believe that she would have had just as great of a life in a area that was not as diverse. I am glad we are able to provide her with a diverse area now and we wanted that for her but that was never our main focus. God will make a way if you are thinking about all of this and He will help you. I have learned not to limit what He wants to do with someones life.
I could go on and on but Lauren has made a huge impact in many peoples lives. She has taught so many of us what love is and how God adopts each one of us. We have had looks, questions and some other things but through it all we have been able to share our faith over and over through this. She is a beautiful little girl and we are so honored to have her as our daughter.
First time I held her.

The boys were very young when we adopted a little younger then I had hoped. Having 3 kids under 5 is hard!! Now I do like it and they are all close.
My 3 blessings!!
Here she is now! A spunky spirited 3 1/2 yr old. She is a lot of fun but has lots of energy and knows what she wants already. She is funny, cute and smart. She has kept me very humble in parenting, lol. She loves her brothers and they love her.
When I look at her I don't see her being any different. It really is a surreal feeling to look at her and not see her being a different color. I see her as being part of us that has always belonged. There is a lot more to the story but I wanted to share in this life changing experience and encourage you to really pray about adoption. I am here for any questions that you may have.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of hearing your story, Katie! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story. You have shared it with me when we first started to getting to know each other and I thought it was so beautiful! I am thankful that God gave you the gift of Lauren. Adoption is near and dear to my heart as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE reading adoption stories! Your is wonderful! Blessings!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading this post and love your blog! Just started following it last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your story!!!
    www.zerkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank yo so much for sharing your story! We have submitted our profile book and are about to start the waiting game. I love reading stories like yours that so beautifully glorify God. (And I love the new blog design!)
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEy, girl. Just wanted to let you know I'm doing a giveaway this week on my adoption blog if you want to share it with your readers and enter yourself! http://whitesugarbrownsugar.blogspot.com/2011/02/interview-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie, I came across this story when I was over here ogling your kitchen. It brought tears to my eyes - so lovely how Lauren came to be yours!! She is beautiful and what a blessing to your family (and you to her!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am late to the party-just catching up on your life stories. I have to comment on this one because she is so beautiful. What a blessing for you AND her. She is a one of the Lord's wonderful treasures-and just waited for you to find her. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. God always has a plan if we are lucky enough to be open to it. We also prayed that God would send us a child to treasure. We opened ourselves to any sex, race, or special need. Just that He would send the child who needed us the most. We were blessed with two children who have been a great joy in our lives. Their paths have not always been easy - which made ours difficult as well. With God's help and (it takes a village) with the help of so many caring people, we are constantly blessed. Thanks for such a great post. I love to learn about the journey's that others take!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lauren is so precious and fits perfectly into your family. Thanks for sharing your wonderful family story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...