Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Hallway

I just got done reading the book the Christian Atheist. It was a a good book that convicts you about saying your a christian but living like you don't believe in Him. I think everything he wrote about I have struggled with time to time. One of the things that I really liked was the chapter he wrote about life not being fair. Isn't that the truth! He went on to talk about how God isn't fair because if He was we would deserve hell. But He loved us so much that He sent His perfect son to take our sins upon Him. He didn't deserve it and He paid our price in full.
Our pastor this week made a statement about our lives being like hallways. Our hallways have pictures on both sides. One side is the pictures of the highs in your life. Like your wedding day, your graduation, your children being born and then there is the other side. That side is the painful side that we don't like to remember. On that side is our most painful moments and experiences. When I look back at some of the painful moments in my life I thank God now for them. The hardships just made me closer to Him. Although I don't like them and wouldn't ask for more your pain can be your best ministry to help others. Time and time again I have seen how God has used mine. God does not waste pain! He has a purpose that does not seem fair to us but looking back I can see how God can use our pains to mold us. Pains are often not used because people are afraid to show they have not had a perfect life or feel they might be judged. I can see why people may feel that way but so many of us are missing out by not using it. Being real and authentic is one of our best tools as believers to non believers. It is a process that will never end God is always stretching us through good and bad and making us more like him. I have gained wisdom through life and praise God in the good times and the bad times. Not always easy in the moment but I pray that I don't waste pain and use it to help others to see Christ.
Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
God is so good to us! One day many things will make sense but having this hope in Romans and seeing God work through others is convicting of His love. I like to be reminded that our time here on earth is short but our impact can be great in pointing others to the cross. My prayer is for us to use our experiences to be Jesus's hands and feet and to love mercifully on others in pain or joy. It is a joke to think that some people or Christians are perfect or have it all together. Daily I am humbled to be more like Him to love others with no strings attached. To be real with others and for God to give me His eyes to see.
"Be kinder then necessary because most people you meet are going through some battle"
One of my favorite songs it is on my playlist below at the bottom of my blog. You can click it.. here are the words
Brandon Heath
Give Me Your Eyes
Looked down from a broken sky
Traced out by the city lights
My world from a mile high
Best seat in the house tonight

Touched down on the cold black tar
Hold on for the sudden stop
Breathe in the familiar shock
Of confusion and chaos

All those people going somewhere
Why have i never cared?

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so i can see
Everything that i keep missing
Give me your love for humanity

Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach?
Give me your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me your eyes so i can see
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

Step out on a busy street
See a girl and our eyes meet
Does her best to smile at me
To hide what's underneath

There's a man just to her right
Black suit and a bright red tie
Too ashamed to tell his wife
He's out of work he's buying time

All those people going somewhere
Why have i never cared?

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so i can see
Everything that i keep missing
Give me your love for humanity

Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach?
Give me your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me your eyes so i can see
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

I've been there a million times
A couple of million eyes just moving past me by
I swear i never thought that i was wrong

Well i want a second glance
So give me a second chance
To see the way you see the people all alone

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so i can see
Everything that i keep missing
Give me your love for humanity

Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the one's forgotten
Give me your eyes so i can see

5 comments:

  1. I love that quote that is attributed to Thompson and Barrie. Very beautiful and wise.

    The book sounds wonderful. Love your little crew. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great picture! I loved that book too. We did the series on it at church and I read the book too.....such a great reminder for us to remember what God did for us and that we don't deserve it. Our lives should reflect the huge gift that He has given us!

    Hope you're having a great week! Are you already planning all your Christmas decorations?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read that book! Love that picture of the kids, too! What a true statement about God not wasting our pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a very interesting book and I love the opening photo
    :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and beautifully written. Your family makes me smile by the way. Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...