Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Trash To Treasure one of my favorites!!

It has been a while since I did a major trash to treasure project. I found this desk at my neighbors garage sale. I am always looking for wood furniture with good bones. This one matched that and for $20 who could pass it up. I wanted a new desk in my office and this was perfect. Very heavy older classic style desk. I sanded the whole thing with my sander, I love that thing. Then I thought about what color...Should I just stain it, go all black or white, or two-tone. I decided to do the top in stained wood and paint the rest. I forgot to take a picture of this step. For the top I used Mini wax gel stain in mahogany then I sealed it with polyurethane.
I love bead board and the desk had little recessed parts on the sides and back that would look great if I layed bead board. I felt so skilled going to Lowe's getting bead board cut. The guys working had no idea what bead board was!! At Lowe's they will make any cuts for you as long as you buy products there.
Then I bought liquid nails and glued it in place. Then painted the whole desk a creamy white.

Here are the in lays that the board fit in perfectly!!
This is the ugly side of it all, my garage during all of this. I get very messy when I am being creative. Typically I am neat and organized but when I work that is not the case. This was one of my more skilled projects so it took a while.I am really enjoying trying new finishes and ideas.
In the garage the pictures aren't that great.
Here is the back.
You can see the top here too and the sides better.
I found neat knobs at Meijer they were on clearance for only $1 a piece. That was a great find and they are really nice and heavy.
I distressed the sides a little and the tops of each drawer.
Can't wait to move this in the house. It was really fun!!
I spent about $65 total! Not bad!! I actually had the paint but bought more just in case but I can use that on a later project. More to come...

9 comments:

  1. Wow Katie! That is quite a transformation!! You are really getting good at all your trash to treasures!! You should start a booth!

    Thanks for your note about the pics on my blog. The lamps are gone. They were made from old water bottles! And yes, they had big holes in the back so you could fill them with anything! Very cool!

    Take care!

    xo

    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI KATIE I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT SUMMER !! I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW FAST IT HAS GONE !
    YOUR DESK TURNED OUT WONDERFUL WHAT A GREAT IDEA TO ADD THE BEAD BOARD ON THE SIDES !!
    WE SHOULD PLAN A JUNK DAY AGAIN WITH POLLY AS SOON AS SCHOOL STARTS BACK
    WARMLY
    JANET

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really awesome!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!! I love the beadboard....it looks great on there! What a difference and for a great price too! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! It now looks like some fancy desk from Pottery Barn or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fabulous job turning the old desk into a gem! LOVE it!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT job! I wish I was closer to you and you could teach me how to re-do a piece. I want to find an old dresser to re-do in a funky color for Ella's bedroom. Just a suggestion: post general re-do directions on your blog for your readers. Keep bloggin'! I love checking in here! :) Rach

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. Please check out my new blog! Support me if you can! :)

    http://hd4you.blogspot.com

    Thanks and I look forward to reading your future blog post.

    Smith

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...