Saturday, June 26, 2010

Long days of summer

Summer can be long for many of us. I love being with my kids but these long days can be to long if you know what I mean. It really breaks up the day to do lots of fun things throughout the week. So far we are having lots of fun but I have already had a few trying days. Days were no one tells you thank you and days that I wish I could be anywhere but a homemaker. Sometimes I struggle with being at home. I really know this is where God wants me and I would not have it any other way. The kids and I are so blessed by Rob and I am so thankful he provides for us. He is doing the right thing, it is just difficult when he works long days or when he travels. I know that this is a season in my life and before I know it will be over and I will miss it so much it will hurt. I just read something in a book that was profound. It was a mother talking about how she made the choice to be home with her kids. It was a unselfish choice that made her feel crazy, lonely and exhausted some days. Many of us can relate!! What she remembers now are the times her kids gave her a unexpected kisses or hugs, or held her hand for no reason other then to show love. Later in life one of her sons died unexpected in young adulthood. She had no regrets and cherished the time that she spent with him when he was a little boy. She hung on to all the memories that she needed to get through each difficult day now. It really touched me. None of us know when our life here on earth will be done. I want to be full of wisdom, patience and guidance during this time with my kids. I want to live a life and be the kind of teacher to them that they will be eternally grateful for. To have memories and know that I did try my best to love them unconditional. The responsibility is really awesome and I am starting to embrace the importance of my job more and more. I want God to define who I am in this world and what his purpose is for me not what the worlds standards should be for me as a mother. I am so thankful to be with them each day they are my greatest gift and joy!


3 comments:

  1. Katie,

    I just know we would be best friends if we could be in real life! I was just thinking this same exact thing earlier today when I was driving with the girls to Target. We were listening to one of their CD's and all singing along and I thought to myself just how much these memories will mean to me. If I were to die tomorrow, my house would not mean anything, my clothes, my business......what would mean something to me is that I had made memories with my loved ones.

    This job of being a SAHM is such a great responsibility, but the best job too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer can be very long! I call them the dog day afternoons, because the time runs so slow! I only have one child at home and she will be moving to college soon. I don't regret any time I have and have not spent with her, we have a great relationship and she knows I love her. We are entitled to days that make us hit our limits and it is ok to feel everyone takes you for granted. At my age and time, I still feel this way! I roll in self pitty sometimes and that is when I remember something that was said in one of my classes that I took last year for my counseling degree, "you have to take care of yourself or you will not be able to take care of others!" It wasn't until now that I realize what that statement meant, what ever that makes you feel complete, good, refreshed,etc you have to do this, you have to be at your best to take care of others.....so now what I do, if I need to get away and have some time to myself, I make arrangements and do so, you are a counselor, mother, care giver, wife, teacher, and sustainer in your family, take care of yourself so you can love those beautiful children and your husband at your best. Your reward will come for the person you are, also, don't forget to pray and ask God to help you. I truly believe He will help you through these times. :) If you need to vent, just email me, I will listen! God Loves you and so do I :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Katie! We were blessed to have our mom home with us while we were growing up. We have SO many wonderful memories. I am so glad that God gave us our mom during all that time!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...