Monday, March 1, 2010

So Long Insecurity

This would be the book I would recommend to all woman. All of us struggle with insecurity in some form of another. It has been the thorn in my side for as long as I can remember. I am confident in who God made me but there are those times that I have to fight the feelings of not being good enough. I have the best mom and she always told me I was great I don't think it is always a nurture issue. The world is changing and from what we see on TV, magazines, blogs, you name it it can drag us down if we don't see the triggers.
I have been struggling lately with being enough as a stay at home mom. I know That is so crazy!! This is the job I have always wanted and that I love. I feel like in our society sometimes that raising your children is not enough. I hate myself for feeling like this at times but every time I turn around someone is saying "I could never stay at home" "I am going back to work as soon as my kids are in school" "I would feel so bored at home" "I just don't feel fulfilled" Or the best yet "Working allows me to be able to afford my kids dance lessons, nice clothes, and vacations" I have felt a little crushed at hearing those. I don't have a problem with woman who choose to work it is just what I hear that gets me down. I know without a doubt I want to be at home with my kids it is those little lies that makes me feel like, am I enough?? Or you come across the woman that seem like they do it all. Most organized, PTO president, cleanest house, kids that get straight A's, family close by to help (BIG ONE), looks perfect. Then I look in the mirror and just about cry with bags under my eyes, new wrinkles, a screaming toddler on my leg and laundry up to my eyeballs.
This book has really spoken to me in so many ways. Beth writes in a way that you feel like she is speaking right to you. She is very real and I like that she says that she has felt everything she writes and wants to help woman through life experiences. I think that is why she is so moving and impacts so many woman's lives because she is Real. It is not another Dr. writing a book telling you what you should do. It is real issues that real woman face each day walking in faith.
Oh my gosh my other biggie. Why do I care so much about this one??? Why do I care if someone doesn't seem to like me? When I feel like God is number one in my life and the world doesn't get to me this one is easy. The christian life is not always a easy one. If I am struggling though I hate this one I feel rejected.

This one too. I hate conflict. We all have said things we wish we wouldn't have. Thank God for forgiveness. If someone is your friend they forgive and love like it never happened.

I have been very open here with my struggles but my desire is not to hide behind a mask like I am perfect or have it all figured out and together. Each day I try to live life through God's eyes and although I fail miserable at times this book is really helping me. I am feeling secure in the person God made me. Knowing I have a bigger purpose to fill, knowing that fiery darts to the heart are just the enemies way of making me feel insecure so I don't follow God's will. I am so happy she wrote this book it makes me realize this is often a untalked about topic that so many of us struggle with.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this book... seriously... thank you! I am going to look for it next time I'm at the bookstore. Sounds like something I REALLY need to read right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my dear friend, I will totally start it as soon as I am done with the 90 day challenge.
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this right now too. I haven't gotten very far yet though. But, I totally understand what you're saying. I think about my own life and I love my life. What gets me down is that I feel like everyone else is always criticizing me, like I'm not ambitious enough for staying home or like I'm not doing a good job as a SAHM because my house isn't perfect and the laundry isn't always done. I don't go around judging people on what they do at their jobs, so they shouldn't judge me at what I do at mine as a SAHM.

    When I worked full-time, there were hours that I had to socialize with friends, have time to myself, go out to lunch, and get paid for it plus the respect of others for being an independent woman. Now, I have no time to socialize, be by myself and I don't get paid to work and my job is 24/7! And top that off with people thinking I'm just lazy now and losing the respect of being a working woman (in society's eyes). It is very frustrating.

    Sorry! I need to finish reading this book, huh?!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your honesty and authenticity. I am looking forward to ordering this from amazon in a few. I have been a stay at home mom for about 7 years. It hasn't been easy but like you, I wouldn't change it for the world. As my kids have gotten older I feel like I've found my groove. My new title is "Domestic Engineer". Have an awesome day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is one thing I can say...
    I have learned that we are so wrong so many times when we look at other women and think they have it all together or have "more" than what we do--

    many times we don't see the "ugly" even in those who look the best!

    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally want to read this!! Thanks for being honest and putting it all out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey--I don't know if you remember me or not, but Kylie was on a teeball team a few years ago that Rob coached. Anyway, you had just adopted your baby girl--my how she has grown! Thank you so much for blogging about this book...I bought it a week ago, but hadn't gotten it out of the bag yet. After reading your blog, I have started the book. It's so amazing! I remember last week when I was buying the book, I felt like I had failed or something--like buying the book meant I was flawed. But then I realized that's not the case. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Katie! I have been reading this book and I love it. I know I have shared some of my insecurity issues as well. We do all battle it as women and I also find myself thinking I'm not good enough as a SAHM. Especially since JB is in school now. Women ask me all the time, "are you going to go work now?" and I just think...my work here is not finished! Just because she's in school doesn't mean my job is over. It is just different now, but still necessary. :) Big hugs, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...