Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Would you walk right by this? Ottoman re-do

I did this thing about 2 months ago but wanted to show you all. Now it is not perfect by any means but I think it turned out cute. I was at my favorite Goodwill junking when I came across this ottoman. I have been wanting one a while, so when I found this 90's ottoman for $2 I jumped on it.. Well my kids did anyway. I thought I could re-do it somehow. I have no idea how to reupholster but thought I would give the handy dandy hot glue gun and my so so not great sewing to it.
I wanted to do two different fabrics after I saw this really cute hunting toile print. I ordered it off ebay and it only came in width with the pattern across so I had to cut it in stripes. I was a little worried but it turned out okay. The brown fabric was found at Hobby Lobby.
I decided to sew elastic round to make a cover for it. I thought it would grip the ottoman like a glove and then if I needed to wash it I could. With the kids, I knew this was a must for something like this. So I did some really crazy measuring and guessing and just jumped in and did it. Listen ladies some of the best stuff comes out when you just do it and stop thinking about what about this and will this look okay. Just go with your gut or creative instinct and sees what happens.
The cover is done.
Still has the 90's plaid ( I think we had this print in our house growing up, mom did we?)
My favorite friend...I cut pieces and edged them up so they would go with the picture of the dogs and just hot glued it on. I tucked the edges down and made a nice seem. Very easy, fast and worked.
I think it turned out cute.. This is my purse camera and project camera so not the best pictures, I will take a big picture of this later with the chair I put it with with my big daddy camera..

6 comments:

  1. I love it!! You are so talented! I've wanted an ottoman for awhile ... now I might try looking at consignment stores and yard sales - then attempt to recreate it like you!

    Thanks for the great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great to me! I think you're right....some of the best stuff happens when you just try things and don't think too hard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that bottom fabric...great job!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you did a great job on that ottoman!! LOVE the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a fabulous job and beautiful fabric too. Love how you used two colors. I love ottomans.

    I also wanted to thank you for introducing us to Brandon Heath a long time ago. We love him and esp. the song you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you go girl! Nice job~ wish I could find one at my Goodwill for $2. Our Goodwill is a bit more pricey! You could really bling this out w/ some fancy tassel/trim where the 2 fabrics meet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Have a blessed day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...